Computer Networking Industry Faces New ChallengesKelly Richardson
Online Degrees Columnist
In one fail swoop, a "bot" can take hold of an unsuspecting computer and do an incredible amount of damage. From click fraud to identity theft, computer networking professionals are beginning to understand the impending danger of cyber criminals.
Our dependence on technology can certainly be considered a double edged sword. While advances in computer networking have increased our capability to share information, this technology can be turned against us when in the wrong hands. According to Bruce Schneier, security news reporter for Wired online e-zine, the networking threat has moved from the hands of the hackers into the hands of the criminals. And their weapon of choice is the dreaded "bot." Bot networks take control of idle computers and use free computer cycles to commit a variety of computer related offenses.
What's a Bot?
- The Essence of Bot. A bot is a special software program that loaded onto a system, whether knowingly or unknowingly, takes control of that machine.
- Bots in the Real. An example of a bot networking program is a keystroke logger that can record sensitive personal and logon information.
- Bots Live Forever. Bots can be remotely upgraded, with new functionalities being added to the program at any time from any location.
Computer Networking Combat
- Computer Scientists. Computer scientists create and test a multitude of complex algorithms design to locate and terminate bot programs.
- Database Managers. Database managers are constantly testing the parameters of their storage databases for possible weak links.
- Communications Analysts. Communications analysts also run routine security checks on WANS and LANS.
About the Author
Kelly Richardson covers the local education and technology scenes in major cities across the country. His articles appear in a variety of respected educational journals, periodicals, and e-zines.
Related Online Networking Articles
Online Network Operations Degree - A degree in network operations will prepare you with a background in the many functions of computer networks and area networks, and will prepare you to work in network operations in any industry.
Computer Networking a Worthwhile Online Degree - Get practical training for a stable career in computer networking through an online degree program.